WHO IS SEQUOIA MERGERS & ACQUISITIONS
Sequoia is an M&A boutique that sells privately owned, mid-market companies to a global market of strategic buyers.
Team of Curious Motivated Entrepreneurs
Sequoia Mergers & Acquisitions is a team of people who, with personal capital and sweat equity, have started, grown, matured, and sold several of our own mid-market companies. That experience translates directly to the sale of your business. Our selling and negotiating skills are indispensable when qualifying buyer intent, motivation, and capacity to consummate the sale of your company on terms negotiated to your benefit.
Talk about persistence. Sequoia was established in 2007. We bought our original offices in mid 2008. On a historic day that September we moved into our new offices, opened the newspaper and read “Lehman Brothers Collapses” – hold on to your hats! Notwithstanding bone dry credit markets and the onset of the great recession, Sequoia flourished and with many years now under our belts we’ve succeeded in all phases of the market cycle. Our reputation for obtaining windfall valuations for our clients is the result of leveraging the value drivers in our clients’ companies with a sales process specifically designed to foster competition.
6 Deals per Year
We typically take on and execute up to 6 business sales per year. We won’t take on more than we can handle and we don’t carry excess “inventory”. We have the good fortune to meet with nearly a hundred business owners each year, none of which we pressure to ‘sign up’ with us. Instead, we are selective about the businesses we engage with so that we can ensure mutual success.
Sell Side Specialists
We are steadfastly focussed on one thing; selling your business. We don’t work for buyers, raise capital, conduct succession planning, or consult on value creation. We are with you for the seven to nine months from when you have committed to sell your business until our last formal meeting with you, and the buyers of your business, in the closing room at the end of the transaction.
One of the things we cherish most is the personal satisfaction of helping our clients exceed their goals when selling their businesses. Large cap investor-owned transactions take on an institutional character leaving a void of accomplishment we’ve come to enjoy with our mid-market clients. We don’t discriminate on size of mid-market businesses. If we have confidence that we can sell the business for a price sufficiently high enough such that our fee becomes an investment rather than a reduction of your equity, we willingly embrace the challenge regardless of size.
Prospective clients often ask us: Have you sold a company like ours? Do you specialize in any particular industry? We don’t specialize in what our client’s business does. We specialize in creating competition for the sale of strategically valuable businesses in industries as diverse as:
- Healthcare: National Chain of Biologic Drug Infusion Clinics
- Aquaculture: Manufacturer of Land Based Fish Rearing Facilities
- Aggregates: Value Added Crushing Systems Manufacturer
- Education: Heavy Equipment Operator Training Institute
- Paper: Value Added Paper Manufacturer
- Automotive: OEM Auto Parts Manufacturer
- Electrical Power: Transmission and Distribution Construction
- Construction Materials: Western Canada Fastening Systems Distributor
- Wellness: Chain of Fitness Facilities
- Resource Recovery: Specialty Electronics Dismantler
- Polymers: Plastics and Coatings Distributor
- Fluid Systems: Commercial and Industrial Pump Distributor
- Modular Power Substations: E-House Manufacturer
The following characteristics are common to all of our clients and their businesses:
- High integrity owners
The first point is a matter of principle, a key ingredient to ensure a successful relationship. The latter three points are characteristics of the business that, in combination, create a platform for leveraging the value of the business through a well run competitive sales process to strategic buyers and other interested parties.
- We focus on mid-market businesses - that's our heritage.
- We earn trust by demonstrating our integrity, intent, capabilities, and results.
- We take care of the details eliminating the converse.
- We believe hard work, common sense, and compassion = exceptional service.
- We count ourselves fortunate to love what we do.
Sequoia - In the News and in Print
- The Globe and Mail, April 13, 2017, Selling your business is a science, and an art (PDF 54KB)
- Financial Post, April 6, 2017, Entrepreneurial employees increasingly buying in... (PDF 148KB)
- Business in Vancouver, April 21, 2015, Prepare for Emotional Impact when Selling your Business (PDF 2.1MB)
- The Globe and Mail, April 6, 2015, Planning to use your business to support your retirement? Read this (PDF 92KB)
- Business in Vancouver, February 10, 2015, Set your Company's Business Goals Before Expanding (PDF 1.4MB)
- CKNW: The Jill Bennett Show, January 26, 2015, The Effect of the Dropping Loonie and Oil Prices on BC Business
- Vancouver Sun, January 30, 2013, Small Business Cover Story - How to Sell Your Business (PDF 251KB)
- Business in Vancouver, March 27, 2012, Seller's market for private companies (PDF 75KB)
- Canadian Capital, May 4, 2011, Succession Planning is a Process (PDF 113KB)
- Business in Vancouver, April 5 - 12, 2011, Strategic buyers, private equity eye B.C. deals (PDF 107KB)
- Business in Vancouver, April 6 - 12, 2010, Cover Story - Motivated to Sell (PDF 9.3MB)
- Business in Vancouver, March 9 - 15, 2010, Recovery Sparking Sales (PDF 1.1MB)